The following activities do not meet continuing education requirements
for licensure renewal.
(1) Basic Life Support (BLS) or cardiopulmonary resuscitation
(2) In service programs. Programs sponsored by the
employing agency to provide specific information about the work setting
and orientation or other programs which address the institution's
philosophy; policies and procedures; on-the-job training; and equipment
(3) Nursing refresher courses. Programs designed to
update knowledge of current nursing theory and clinical practice,
which consist of a didactic and clinical component, to ensure entry
level competencies into nursing practice.
(4) Orientation programs. A program designed to introduce
employees to the philosophy, goals, policies, procedures, role expectations,
and physical facilities of a specific work place.
(5) Courses which focus upon self-improvement, changes
in attitude, self-therapy, and self-awareness that do not delineate
the impact on nursing practice or improved patient outcomes.
(6) Economic courses for financial gain, e.g., investments,
retirement, preparing resumes, and techniques for job interview.
(7) Courses which focus on personal appearance in nursing.
(8) Liberal art courses in music, art, philosophy,
and others when unrelated to patient/client care.
(9) Courses designed for lay people.
(10) Self-directed study--An educational activity wherein
the learner takes the initiative and the responsibility for assessing,
planning, implementing, and evaluating the activity including, but
not limited to, academic courses that are audited, that are not directly
relevant to a licensee's area of nursing practice, or that are prerequisite
courses such as mathematics, physiology, biology, government, or other
(11) Continuing Medical Education (CME), unless completed
by an APRN in the APRN's role and population focus area of licensure
and otherwise accepted in this chapter.
|Source Note: The provisions of this §216.6 adopted to be effective August 16, 2009, 34 TexReg 5524; amended to be effective February 23, 2014, 39 TexReg 982; amended to be effective November 10, 2014, 39 TexReg 8693; amended to be effective December 5, 2018, 43 TexReg 7766