|(a) Mission Statement.
(1) The gift shops will offer visitors items related to the
Capitol, state government and the state of Texas (its history, its land, and
its heritage). It is the goal of the Capitol Gift shops to further the educational
mission of both the State Preservation Board and the Capitol Visitors Center.
In accordance with that mission, preference will be given to products with
an educational focus.
(2) It is the goal of the Capitol Gift shops to feature
products produced in Texas by Texans. All other criteria being equal, preference
will be given to Texas-made products.
(3) Net revenue from the gift shops will subsidize the
administrative operations of the retail operation, the continued Capitol preservation
efforts, and the agency's educational programming.
(b) Criteria for Product Selection.
(1) The gift shop manager will review products and make final
determinations regarding the procurement of products for the retail operations.
All products submitted for consideration in the gift shop are subject to review
by product selection committee at the direction of the gift shop manager.
The product selection committee is comprised of gift shop and agency managerial
staff. Products will be selected based upon a review of the following criteria:
(A) compatibility with the mission statement;
(F) visual appeal;
(G) demonstrated marketability; and
(H) quality in packaging.
(2) All items must reflect the mission of the agency
and its statutory responsibilities.
(3) The gift shops will not carry products that promote
any specific Texas town, city, or region; any institution of higher education;
or any professional sports team.
(4) The gift shops will carry only periodical reading
materials with a circulation over 100,000. The focus of these periodicals
will reflect the state of Texas, except under unusual circumstances. Topics
of the periodicals include government, the economy, travel, sports and leisure,
lifestyle and gracious living, and current events.
(5) All products must achieve an acceptable level of sales
activity within three months of receipt of order to be considered for continued
representation in the gift shop.
(6) Items must be able to be produced and shipped quickly
in reasonable quantities for resale.
(7) When comparing similar products with other criteria
being equal, the lowest wholesale cost will be the determining factor.
(c) The gift shop manager's decision regarding acceptance or
non-acceptance of any item to be sold in the gift shop is final.