|(a) Initial implementation.
(1) Not later than 2 months following approval of the
state program by the Secretary, regardless of litigation contesting
that approval, each person who conducts or expects to conduct surface
coal mining and reclamation operations after the expiration of 8 months
from that approval shall file an application for a permit for those
(2) Applications for those operations which are not
filed within the time required by paragraph (1) of this subsection
shall be deemed applications filed under subsection (b)(1) of this
(b) Filing deadlines after initial implementation.
(1) General. Each person who conducts or expects to
conduct new surface coal mining and reclamation operations shall file
a complete application for a permit for those operations at least
8 months prior to the projected commencement of operations where no
special problems are anticipated.
(2) Renewal of valid permits. An application for renewal
of a permit shall be filed with the Commission at least 120 days before
the expiration of the permit involved.
(3) Revisions of permits. Any application for revision
of a permit shall be filed with the Commission at least 180 days before
the date on which the permittee expects to revise surface coal mining
or reclamation operations.
(4) Succession to rights granted under prior permits.
Any application for a new permit required for a person succeeding
by transfer, sale, or assignment of rights granted under a permit
shall be filed with the Commission not later than 30 days after that
succession is approved by the Commission.