The following words and terms when used in this subchapter shall have
the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(1) Applicant--A person who is eligible to participate in the
voluntary cleanup program and who submits the required forms, information,
and fee for doing so.
(2) Assistant director--The administrative head of the Site
(3) Certificate of completion--The document executed by the
Commission upon satisfactory completion of obligations under a Voluntary Cleanup
(4) Completion--The cleanup of a site to the point that no
more response actions are necessary.
(5) Commission--The Railroad Commission of Texas, the director
of the Oil and Gas Division, or a staff delegate of the division director.
(6) Conditional certificate of completion--The document executed
by the Commission upon a participant's satisfactory conditional completion
of obligations under a Voluntary Cleanup Agreement.
(7) Conditional completion--The cleanup of a site to the point
that further response actions are limited to maintenance of engineering or
institutional controls and/or the continued successful operation of long-term
(8) Contaminant--A waste, pollutant, or other substance or
material regulated by or that results from an activity under the jurisdiction
of the Commission under Texas Natural Resources Code, Chapters 91 or 141,
or the Texas Water Code.
(9) Division--The Oil and Gas Division of the Commission.
(10) Eligible applicant--An applicant who did not cause or
contribute to the contaminants on the site that is the subject of the voluntary
cleanup agreement and whose application the Site Remediation Section has accepted.
(11) Participant--An eligible applicant with whom the Commission
has entered into a voluntary cleanup agreement.
(12) Response action--The control, cleanup, or removal of a
contaminant from the environment.
(13) Responsible person--Any operator or other person required
by law, rules of the Commission, or a valid order of the Commission to control
or clean up the oil and gas wastes or other substances or materials.
(14) Site Remediation Section--Those Commission staff, individually
or collectively, who are employed in the Site Remediation Section, or its
successor, of the Oil and Gas Division.
(15) Voluntary cleanup--A response action taken under and in
compliance with this subchapter.