The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Planning Notification--Formal notification from
an institution that planning has begun for a proposal for a new degree
(2) Board--The Texas Higher Education Coordinating
(3) Commissioner--The Commissioner of Higher Education.
(4) Mission Statement--A narrative description of the
general mission of each institution prepared by the institution and
approved by its Board of Regents. The statement should address the
fundamental purpose of the institution with respect to its teaching,
research, and public service responsibilities. The institution's special
concerns for quality and access, liberal arts, admissions, career-oriented
programming, extension and articulation with community colleges and
public schools, traditional and nontraditional education, and similar
issues also may be described. The mission statement must be consistent
with any statutory mission description.
(5) Organized classes--Classes whose primary mode of
instruction is lecture, laboratory, or seminar.
(6) Planning--An institution is considered by the Board
to be planning for a new degree program if it takes any action that
leads to the preparation of a proposal for a new program, including
hiring personnel, including consultants and planning deans, leasing
and/or purchasing real estate, building facilities, and/or developing
(7) Program Inventory--The official list of all degree
and certificate programs approved for a public community college,
university or health-related institution.
(8) Role and Mission or Role and Scope--Equivalent
phrases used to refer to the overall purpose of an institution, including
its role within the overall system of Texas higher education. The
role and mission for a university or health-related institution are
described in its Mission Statement.
(9) Texas Classification of Instructional Programs
(CIP) Coding System--The Texas adaptation of the federal Classification
of Instructional Programs taxonomy developed by the National Center
for Education Statistics and used nationally to classify instructional
programs and report educational data.
(10) Selected Public Colleges--Those public colleges
authorized to offer baccalaureate degrees in Texas.
(11) Statutory mission description--A statement of
an institution's mission or purpose that is established directly in
|Source Note: The provisions of this §5.23 adopted to be effective May 28, 2003, 28 TexReg 4124; amended to be effective May 12, 2005, 30 TexReg 2661; amended to be effective November 28, 2007, 32 TexReg 8490; amended to be effective November 29, 2011, 36 TexReg 8010; amended to be effective November 24, 2013, 38 TexReg 8426; amended to be effective November 23, 2016, 41 TexReg 9108