The following terms in this section, when used in this chapter,
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) TCSA--The Texas Controlled Substances Act (Texas
Health and Safety Code, Chapter 481).
(2) Advanced practice registered nurse--A registered
nurse licensed by the Texas Board of Nursing to practice as an advanced
practice registered nurse on the basis of completion of an advanced
educational program. The term includes a nurse practitioner, nurse
midwife, nurse anesthetist, and clinical nurse specialist. The term
is synonymous with "advanced nurse practitioner" and "advanced practice
(3) Day--A calendar day unless the context clearly
indicates a business day.
(4) Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)--The Federal
Drug Enforcement Administration.
(5) Electronic transmission--The transmission of information
in electronic form such as computer to computer, electronic device
to computer, e-mail, or the transmission of the exact visual image
of a document by way of electronic media.
(6) Emergency situation--A situation described in the
Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, §1306.11(d).
(7) Individual practitioner--A physician, dentist,
veterinarian, optometrist, podiatrist, or other individual licensed,
registered, or otherwise permitted to dispense a controlled substance
in the course of professional practice, but does not include a pharmacist,
a pharmacy, or an institutional practitioner.
(8) Institutional practitioner--A hospital or other
person (other than an individual practitioner) licensed, registered,
or otherwise permitted to dispense a controlled substance in the course
of professional practice, but does not include a pharmacy.
(9) Locum tenen--An individual practitioner who practices
in a temporary position in this state and licensed by the appropriate
Texas state licensing board.
(10) Long-term care facility (LTCF)--An establishment
licensed as such by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services.
(11) NDC #--A National Drug Code number.
(12) Physician assistant--An individual licensed as
such by the Texas Physician Assistant Board.
(13) Record--A notification, order form, statement,
invoice, prescription, inventory information, or other document for
the acquisition or disposal of a controlled substance, precursor,
or apparatus in any manner by a registrant or permit holder under
a record keeping or inventory requirement of federal law, the TCSA,
or this chapter.
(14) Reportable prescription--A prescription for a
(A) listed in Schedule II through V; and
(B) not excluded from this chapter by a rule adopted
under the TCSA, §481.0761(b).
(15) Temporary controlled substances registration (TCSR)--A
controlled substances registration issued to a locum tenen or a health
practitioner for a period of time not to exceed 90 days.