|(a) Minimum Continuing Education Hours Required:
(1) A licensee must complete 30 hours of continuing
education during each renewal period that they hold a license. The
30 hours of continuing education must include 6 hours in ethics and
3 hours in cultural diversity or competency.
(2) A licensee may carry forward to the next renewal
period, a maximum of 10 hours accrued during the current renewal period
if those hours are not needed for renewal.
(b) Special Continuing Education Requirements.
(1) A licensee with supervisory status must complete
6 hours of continuing education in supervision.
(2) The special continuing education requirements set
out in this subsection may be counted toward the minimum continuing
education hours required under subsection (a) of this section.
(c) Acceptable ethics hours include, but are not limited
to continuing education on:
(1) state or federal laws, including agency rules,
relevant to the practice of social work;
(2) practice guidelines established by local, regional,
state, national, or international professional organizations;
(3) training or education designed to demonstrate or
affirm the ideals and responsibilities of the profession; and
(4) training or education intended to assist licensees
in determining appropriate decision-making and behavior, improve consistency
in or enhance the professional delivery of services, and provide a
minimum acceptable level of practice.
(d) Acceptable cultural diversity or competency hours
include, but are not limited to continuing education regarding age,
disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, language, national
origin, race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, and socio-economic
(e) Acceptable Continuing Education Activities.
(1) All continuing education hours must have been received
during the renewal period unless allowed under subsection (a)(2) of
this section, and be directly related to the practice of social work;
(2) The Council shall make the determination as to
whether the activity claimed by the licensee is directly related to
the practice of social work;
(3) Except for hours claimed under subsection (h) of
this section, all continuing education hours obtained must be designated
by the provider in a letter, email, certificate, or transcript that
displays the licensee's name, topic covered, date(s) of training,
and hours of credit earned; and
(4) Multiple instances or occurrences of a continuing
education activity may not be claimed for the same renewal period.
(f) Licensees must obtain at least fifty percent of
their continuing education hours from one or more of the following
(1) an international, national, regional, state, or
local association of medical, mental, or behavioral health professionals;
(2) public school districts, charter schools, or education
(3) city, county, state, or federal governmental entities;
(4) an institution of higher education accredited by
a regional accrediting organization recognized by the Council for
Higher Education Accreditation, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating
Board, or the United States Department of Education;
(5) religious or charitable organizations devoted to
improving the mental or behavioral health of individuals;
(6) a licensee that is a Council-approved supervisor;
(7) a hospital or hospital system, including any clinic,
division, or department within a hospital or hospital system; or
(8) any provider approved or endorsed by a provider
(g) Notwithstanding subsection (f) of this section,
licensees shall receive credit for continuing education activities
according to the number of hours designated by the provider, or if
no such designation, on a one-for-one basis with one credit hour for
each hour spent in the continuing education activity.
(h) Licensees may claim continuing education credit
for each of the following activities:
(1) Passage of the jurisprudence examination. Licensees
who pass the jurisprudence examination may claim 1 hour of continuing
education in ethics.
(2) Preparing and giving a presentation at a continuing
education activity. The maximum number of hours that may be claimed
for this activity is 5 hours.
(3) Authoring a book or peer reviewed article. The
maximum number of hours that may be claimed for this activity is 5
(4) Teaching or attending a university or college level
course. The maximum number of hours that may be claimed for this activity
is 5 hours.
(5) Self-study. The maximum number of hours that may
be claimed for this activity is 1 hour. Self-study is credit that
is obtained from any type of activity that is performed by an individual
licensee acting alone. Such activities include, but are not limited
to, reading materials directly related to the practice of social work.
Time spent individually viewing or listening to audio, video, digital,
or print media as part of an organized continuing education activity,
program or offering from a third-party is not subject to this self-study
limitation and may count as acceptable continuing education under
other parts of this rule.
(6) Successful completion of a training course on human
trafficking prevention described by §116.002 of the Occupations
Code. Licensees who complete this training may claim 1 hour of continuing
(i) The Council does not pre-evaluate or pre-approve
continuing education providers or hours.
(j) Licensees shall maintain proof of continuing education
compliance for a minimum of 3 years after the applicable renewal period.
(k) Subsection (f) of this section is effective January