The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Act--Title 3, Subtitle D, Chapter 251 - 267, Texas
(2) Complaint--The term complaint includes complaints
submitted on the agency's official complaint form, complaints initiated
internally on the agency's internal complaint form, and self-reports
submitted by licensees pursuant to §108.6 of this title (relating
to Report of Patient Death or Injury Requiring Hospitalization).
(3) Jurisdictional Complaint--A complaint received
by the board that if true, would constitute a violation of the Act
or board rules.
(4) Jurisdictional Not Filed Complaint--A jurisdictional
complaint received by the board on which the board decides not to
proceed with an official investigation. These complaints are closed
during the preliminary investigation.
(5) Jurisdictional Filed Complaint--A jurisdictional
complaint on which the board has determined to proceed with an official
(6) Preliminary Investigation--An investigation conducted
by the agency upon the receipt of a complaint to determine whether
the complaint is jurisdictional and whether the complaint should be
filed and an official investigation commenced.
(7) Official Investigation--An investigation conducted
by the agency of a complaint that, after a preliminary investigation,
is determined to be a jurisdictional filed complaint.
(8) Respondent--The person or entity that is identified
as the subject of a complaint received by the agency.