The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Antenatal--Occurring or existing before birth,
referring to both the care of the woman during pregnancy and the growth
and development of the fetus.
(2) Available--Relating to staff who can be contacted
for consultation at all times without delay.
(3) CEFDT--A facility designated as a Center of Excellence
for Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy.
(4) Commission--The Health and Human Services Commission.
(5) Department--The Department of State Health Services.
(6) Designation--A formal recognition by the department
of a facility's fetal diagnosis and therapy care capabilities and
commitment, for a period of three years.
(7) Executive Commissioner--The Executive Commissioner
of the Health and Human Services Commission.
(8) Fetal--Of, relating to, or being a fetus.
(9) CEFDTMD--CEFDT Medical Director.
(10) CEFDTPM--CEFDT Program Manager.
(11) Innovation--A new method of investigation or an
experiment undertaken to benefit an individual patient.
(12) Level I evidence-based metrics--Evidence from
a systematic review of all relevant randomized controlled trials (RCTs)
or evidence-based clinical practice guidelines from major national
perinatal organizations, based on systematic reviews of RCTs.
(13) Maternal--Pertaining to the pregnant patient or
(14) Maternal-Fetal Patient--Pertaining to the pregnant
patient and her fetus(es).
(15) Office--Office of Emergency Medical Services (EMS)/Trauma
(16) On-site--At the facility and able to rapidly arrive
at the patient bedside for urgent requests.
(17) PCR--Perinatal Care Region.
(18) Perinatal--Of, relating to, or being the period
around childbirth, especially the five months before and one month
(19) Research--An investigation or experiment undertaken
to create generalized knowledge about a particular subject.
(20) Urgent--Requiring immediate action or attention.