The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Advisory Committee--Promotor(a) or Community Health
Worker Training and Certification Advisory Committee.
(2) Applicant--A promotor(a) or community health worker
who applies to the Department of State Health Services for a certificate
of competence; an instructor who applies to the department to train
promotores or community health workers; or a sponsoring organization
that applies to the department to offer training approved by the department
to train promotores or community health workers.
(3) Certificate--Certificate issued to a promotor(a)
or community health worker, instructor or sponsoring organization
by the Department of State Health Services.
(4) Commission--The Health and Human Services Commission.
(5) Commissioner--The Commissioner of the Department
of State Health Services.
(6) Compensation--Includes receiving payment or receiving
reimbursement for expenses.
(7) Core Competencies--Key skills for promotores or
community health workers required for certification by the department,
including communication skills, interpersonal skills, knowledge base
on specific health issues, service coordination skills, capacity-building
skills, advocacy skills, teaching skills, and organizational skills.
(8) Department--The Department of State Health Services.
(9) Distance Learning--The acquisition of knowledge
and skills through mediated information and instruction, encompassing
all technologies and other forms of learning at a distance.
(10) Executive Commissioner--Executive Commissioner
of the Health and Human Services Commission.
(11) Health--A state of complete physical, mental and
social well-being where an individual or group is able to realize
aspirations and satisfy needs, and to change or cope with the environment.
Health is a resource for everyday life, not the objective of living;
it is a positive concept emphasizing social and personal resources
as well as physical capabilities. This definition is from the World
Health Organization, "Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion, 1986."
(12) Certified Instructor--An individual approved by
the department to provide instruction and training in one or more
core competencies to promotores or community health workers.
(13) "Promotor(a)" or "Community Health Worker"--A
person who, with or without compensation, is a liaison and provides
cultural mediation between health care and social services, and the
community. A promotor(a) or community health worker: is a trusted
member, and has a close understanding of, the ethnicity, language,
socio-economic status, and life experiences of the community served.
A promotor(a) or community health worker assists people to gain access
to needed services and builds individual, community, and system capacity
by increasing health knowledge and self-sufficiency through a range
of activities such as outreach, patient navigation and follow-up,
community health education and information, informal counseling, social
support, advocacy, and participation in clinical research.
(14) Sponsoring organization--An organization approved
by the department to deliver a certified training curriculum to promotores
or community health workers or instructors.
(15) Certified Training Curriculum--An educational,
community health training curriculum approved by the department for
the purpose of training promotores or community health workers or