The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Acknowledgment of Paternity Training--Training
from the Office of the Attorney General as prescribed in 1 TAC Chapter
55, concerning Child Support Enforcement.
(2) Application for Birth Registrar Certification/Re-certification--An
online application prescribed and provided by the Vital Statistics
Unit to assess the knowledge and skills of a birth registrar.
(3) Birth registrar--Person responsible for filing
a birth certificate as prescribed in Health and Safety Code, §192.003(a)
(4) Birth Registrar Certification (BRC)--A certification
program required for all birth registrars.
(5) Certification period--The certification period
two years from certification date.
(6) Continuing education--Educational training that
contributes to the advancement, extension, and enhancement of the
professional skills and knowledge of the birth registrar in the practice
of registering births in this state and be open to all birth registrars.
(7) Hour of continuing education--A 50 minute clock
hour completed by a birth registrar in attendance at an approved continuing
(8) Midwife--An individual currently licensed under
the Texas Board of Nursing as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
as defined in 22 TAC Chapter 222, or an individual currently licensed
with the Texas Midwifery Board to legally practice midwifery in this
(9) Physician--An individual currently licensed under
the Texas Medical Board to actively practice medicine in this state.
(10) Texas Electronic Registrar (TER) - Birth Registration
Online Training Course--An online birth training provided by the Vital