The following words and phrases when used in this subchapter
shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates
(1) ATOD--Alcohol, tobacco, and/or other drugs.
(2) Department--The Department of State Health Services.
(3) Participant--A person receiving substance abuse
prevention services funded by a state agency.
(4) Protective factors--Elements that serve to reduce
the influence of risk factors and may have a positive effect on a
person, group, or geographic area, thereby building resilience and
decreasing the likelihood for developing risky behaviors that could
lead to a substance abuse problem; e.g., parent or guardian involvement
or safe living environment.
(5) Risk factors--Elements that may have a negative
effect on a person, group, or geographic area, thereby increasing
the likelihood for developing risky behaviors that could lead to a
substance abuse problem; e.g., living in a high crime or gang area,
family history of ATOD problems, lack of a supportive adult, or poor
(6) Substance abuse prevention program provider--A
person or entity who contracts with a state agency listed in §447.105
of this title (relating to Interagency Collaboration and Reporting)
to provide substance abuse prevention services.