|(a) The committee. The Texas HIV Medication Advisory
Committee is mandated under Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 85,
Subchapter K, and is governed under the terms of those statutory provisions
and by this section. The purpose of the committee is to advise the
executive commissioner and the Texas Department of State Health Services
(department) in the development of procedures and guidelines for the
Texas HIV Medication Program (program).
(b) Tasks. The committee shall:
(1) review the aims and the goals of the program;
(2) evaluate ongoing program efforts;
(3) recommend both short-range and long-range goals
and objectives for medication needs;
(4) recommend medications for addition to or deletion
from the program's formulary; and
(5) carry out any other tasks given to the committee
by the executive commissioner.
(c) Committee abolished. By August 1, 2020, the executive
commissioner will initiate and complete a review of the committee
to determine whether the committee should be continued, consolidated
with another committee, or abolished. If the committee is not continued
or consolidated, the committee shall be abolished on that date.
(d) Terms of office. The term of office of each member
shall be six years. Members shall serve after expiration of their
term until a replacement is appointed.
(1) Members shall be appointed for staggered terms
so that the terms of a substantially equivalent number of members
will expire on December 31st of each even-numbered year.
(2) If a vacancy occurs, a person may be appointed
to serve the unexpired portion of that term.
(e) Meetings. The committee shall meet only as necessary
to conduct committee business.
(1) A quorum for the purpose of transacting official
business is six members.
(2) The committee is authorized to transact official
business only when in a legally constituted meeting with quorum present.
(f) Attendance. Members shall attend committee meetings
as scheduled. Members shall attend meetings of subcommittees to which
they are assigned.
(1) A member shall notify the presiding officer or
appropriate department staff if he or she is unable to attend a scheduled
(2) It is grounds for removal from the committee if
a member cannot discharge the member's duties for a substantial part
of the term for which the member is appointed because of illness or
disability, is absent from more than half of the committee and subcommittee
meetings during a calendar year, or is absent from at least three
consecutive committee meetings.