The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Adverse drug reaction--Any response to a drug that
is noxious and unintended and occurs at doses normally used in humans.
(2) Contractor--An entity that provides HHSC-funded
mental health services pursuant to a contract with a service system
component or HHSC.
(3) Drug entity--A specific chemical compound and all
its pharmaceutically equivalent salt forms that are used in the diagnosis,
cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease.
(4) Emergency--A situation in which it is immediately
necessary to administer medication to an individual to prevent:
(A) imminent probable death or substantial bodily harm
to the individual because the individual:
(i) overtly or continually is threatening or attempting
to commit suicide or serious bodily harm; or
(ii) is behaving in a manner that indicates that the
individual is unable to satisfy the individual's need for nourishment,
essential medical care, or self-protection; or
(B) imminent serious physical or emotional harm to
others as indicated by threats, attempts, or other acts the individual
overtly or continually makes or commits.
(5) HHSC--Texas Health and Human Services Commission.
(6) HHSC facility--A facility operated by HHSC, including
state hospitals and state supported living centers.
(7) HHSC Psychiatric Drug Formulary--A listing by nonproprietary
name of all drugs approved for use by service system components and
their contractors that is updated annually, at a minimum.
(8) Individual--Any person receiving services from
a service system component or contractor.
(9) Interim Formulary Update--An update to the HHSC
Psychiatric Drug Formulary, which is incorporated into the HHSC Psychiatric
(10) Local authority--A local mental health authority
designated in accordance with Texas Health and Safety Code, §533.035(a),
a local behavioral health authority designated in accordance with
Texas Health and Safety Code, §533.0356, and a local intellectual
and developmental disability authority designated in accordance with
Texas Health and Safety Code §533A.035(a).
(11) Mental health services--Any services concerned
with the diagnosis, treatment, and care of individuals for a mental
illness (known as serious emotional disturbance in reference to children
and adolescents), which may be accompanied by a co-occurring diagnosis.
(12) PEFC--Psychiatric Executive Formulary Committee.
A committee composed of representatives from the state hospitals,
state supported living centers, community behavioral health entities,
and others as selected by the state hospitals associate commissioner
in consultation with the state supported living center associate commissioner,
the behavioral health services associate commissioner, and the intellectual
and developmental services associate commissioner. The committee is
responsible for the formulation of broad professional policies regarding
the evaluation, selection, handling, use, administration, and all
other matters relating to the use of drugs and devices in an HHSC
facility, local authority, and their respective contractors for medications
and medication-related services funded by HHSC.
(13) Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee--An HHSC facility
committee composed of physicians, pharmacists, registered nurses,
and others as selected by the facility head, or their designee, that
assists in the formulation of broad professional policies regarding
the evaluation, selection, distribution, handling, use, administration,
and all other matters relating to the use of drugs and devices in
(14) Practitioner--A person who acts within the scope
of a professional license to prescribe, distribute, administer, or
dispense a prescription drug or device, (e.g. a physician, registered
nurse, advanced practice registered nurse, physician assistant, licensed
vocational nurse, pharmacist, or dentist).
(15) Reserve drug--A formulary drug with specific guidelines
for use as described in the HHSC Psychiatric Drug Formulary.
(16) Service system component--HHSC, an HHSC facility,
and a local authority.