|(a) A person may not manufacture or distribute a plastic bottle
or rigid plastic container unless the appropriate symbol indicating the plastic
resin used to produce the bottle or container is molded into or imprinted
on the bottom or near the bottom of the bottle or container.
(b) A plastic bottle or rigid plastic container with a base
cup or other component of a material different from the basic material used
in making the bottle or container shall bear the symbol indicating its basic
(c) The symbols used under this section must consist of a number
placed within a triangle of arrows and of letters placed below the triangle
of arrows. The triangle must be equilateral, formed by three arrows with the
apex of each point of the triangle at the midpoint of each arrow, rounded
with a short radius. The arrowhead of each arrow must be at the midpoint of
each side of the triangle with a short gap separating the arrowhead from the
base of the adjacent arrow. The triangle formed by the arrows must depict
a clockwise path around the number.
(d) The numbers, letters of the symbols, and the plastic resins
represented by the symbols are:
(1) 1 and PETE, representing polyethylene terephthalate;
(2) 2 and HDPE, representing high density polyethylene;
(3) 3 and V, representing vinyl;
(4) 4 and LDPE, representing low density polyethylene;
(5) 5 and PP, representing polypropylene;
(6) 6 and PS, representing polystyrene; and
(7) 7 and OTHER, representing all other resins, including
layered plastics of a combination of materials.
(e) The commission approves the use of Society of Automotive
Engineers, Inc. (SAE) J1344 Marking of Plastic Parts,
an internationally recognized label coding system published by the
SAE. This optional label coding system is approved for use with special-purpose
plastic bottles or rigid plastic containers that are components of motor vehicles
in place of the symbols described by subsections (c) and (d) of this section.
(f) The commission shall:
(1) maintain a list of the symbols; and
(2) provide a copy of that list to any person on request.