As used in this subchapter and in these rules, the following
words and terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context
clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) Applicant--A person that has submitted an application
for an award under this subchapter.
(2) Application protest period--A period of at least
thirty days beginning on the first day after an application is posted
under §16.36(d) of this subchapter.
(3) Broadband service--Internet service that delivers
transmission speeds capable of providing a minimum download or upload
threshold speed that are the greater of:
(A) a download speed of 25 Mbps or faster; and an upload
speed of three Mbps or faster as established under Government Code, §490I.0101;
(B) the upload or download threshold speeds for advanced
telecommunications capability under 47 U.S.C. §1302 as adopted
by the Federal Communications Commission and as published on the comptroller's
website under Government Code, §490I.0101.
(4) Broadband development map--The map created under
Government Code, §490I.0105.
(5) Census block--The smallest geographic area for
which the U.S. Bureau of the Census collects and tabulates decennial
census data as shown on the most recent on Census Bureau maps.
(6) Census tract--A cluster of census blocks consisting
of small, relatively permanent statistical subdivisions of a county
or statistically equivalent entity that can be updated by local participants
prior to each decennial census as part of the U.S. Census Bureau's
Participant Statistical Areas Program.
(7) Commercial broadband service provider--A broadband
service provider engaged in business intended for profit, a telephone
cooperative, an electric cooperative, or an electric utility that
offers broadband service or middle-mile broadband service for a fare,
fee, rate, charge, or other consideration.
(8) Designated area--A census block or other area as
determined under §16.33 of this subchapter.
(9) Grant funds--Grants, low-interest loans, and other
financial incentives awarded to applicants under this subchapter for
the purpose of expanding access to and adoption of broadband service
in designated areas determined to be eligible areas by the office
under Government Code, §490I.0105.
(10) Grant recipient--An applicant who has been awarded
grant funds under this subchapter.
(11) Mbps--Megabits per second.
(12) Middle mile broadband service--The provision of
excess fiber capacity on an electric utility's electric delivery system
or other facilities to an Internet service provider to provide broadband
service. The term does not include provision of Internet service to
end-use customers on a retail basis.
(13) Non-commercial broadband service provider--A broadband
service provider that is not a commercial broadband service provider.
(14) Office--The Broadband Development Office created
under Government Code, §490I.0102.
(15) Project area--The area identified by an applicant
in which the applicant proposes to deploy broadband service and consisting
of the entirety of one or more contiguous designated areas that are
eligible to receive funding under this subchapter.
(16) Unserved area--A designated area or location within
a designated area that does not have access to broadband service.
(17) Underserved area--A designated area or location
within a designated area that has access to broadband service but
lacks access to internet service offered with a download speed of
at least 100 Mbps and an upload speed of at least 20 Mbps.