The following words and terms, when used in this chapter shall
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Energy and Water Management Plan--A comprehensive
plan prepared by a state agency or institution of higher education
that includes a progress report of utility energy and water use reduction
measures, goals for reducing utility consumption, a strategy and implementation
schedule, a description of methods of financing improvements, and
an employee awareness plan.
(2) Institution of higher education--Has the meaning
that is assigned by Education Code, §61.003.
(3) Long Range Utility Services Plan--A long range
plan for the delivery of reliable, cost-effective utility services
for a state agency or institution of higher education, including any
on-site generation, energy storage or demand response.
(4) Providing agency--A state agency or institution
of higher education that occupies or manages a state-owned building
and is responsible for paying utility bills.
(5) SECO--The Comptroller of Public Accounts State
Energy Conservation Office or legally designated successor.
(6) State agency--Any department, commission, board,
office, or other agency in the executive, judicial, or legislative
branch of state government that exists under the constitution or a
statute of this state and that has authority that is not limited to
a geographical portion of the state.
(7) Tenant agency--A state agency or institution of
higher education that occupies a building managed by another party
and is not responsible for building renovation projects. A tenant
agency may or may not be responsible for directly paying utility bills.
(8) Utility--Electricity, gas, thermal, or other energy
resource, water, and wastewater.
(9) Utility consumption data--The measured amount of
the agency's or institution's water, electricity, gasoline, or natural