|(a) In addition to any other application requirements
under this chapter, a law enforcement academy training provider applicant
shall comply with all provisions of this section.
(b) An entity applying for a law enforcement academy
training provider contract must be based on at least one of the following
(1) a law enforcement agency with a minimum of 75 full-time
paid peace officers, county jailers, or telecommunicators under current
(2) an institution recognized by the Texas Higher Education
Coordinating Board; or
(3) a regional planning commission or councils of governments'
(COG) board. The commission will enter into only one academy contract
within each regional planning commission or councils of governments'
area at any one time.
(c) A law enforcement academy training provider applicant
(1) the proposed formal name of the academy, which
must not misrepresent the status of the academy or be confusing to
law enforcement or to the public;
(2) a proposed course schedule to show that training
will be conducted on a continuing basis;
(3) a schedule of tuition and fees that will be charged,
(4) the physical location and a description of the
proposed training facility and any satellite sites; and
(5) documentation of any contract an academy may have
as cosponsor with law enforcement agencies and other entities to conduct
continuing education classes or basic county corrections training.
(d) A training needs assessment must be completed and
submitted for commission approval and shall include:
(1) a description of whom the academy will serve, including
the identity of each law enforcement agency the academy expects to
serve, the number of officers the academy expects to train annually
from each agency, and the basis for the academy's expectations;
(2) the number and types of courses that will be offered;
(3) proof of notification by e-mail to all academies
within the regional planning commission or councils of governments'
area of their intent to apply for an academy contract and what specific
training needs the applicant intends to meet.
(e) The effective date of this section is February