The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Approved product--A product indicated to be effective
for the treatment and control of scabies and mange mites in livestock.
(2) Authorized veterinarian--Veterinarians who are
licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Texas, are Category II
accredited by USDA, APHIS, VS for the State of Texas; and have satisfactorily
completed Texas Animal Health Commission disease control or eradication
program training or provide documentation to the executive director
that they have satisfactorily completed substantially similar disease
control or eradication program training.
(3) Commission--The Texas Animal Health Commission.
(4) Exposed livestock--Livestock that have had direct
or indirect contact with animals infested with scabies or mange mites.
(5) Exposed or infested herd--Herd of livestock where
one or more head have been confirmed to be infested with scabies or
mange mites. The exposed status continues until the prescribed course
of treatment is completed and inspected by the commission, USDA, APHIS,
VS or an authorized veterinarian.
(6) Infested livestock--Livestock that have been confirmed
to be infested with the scabies or mange mite.
(7) Livestock--Cattle, sheep, or goats.
(8) Scabies or mange mites--As used herein include Chorioptes bovis, Psoroptes
bovis, and Sarcoptes scabiei mites
which are reportable to the commission and commonly referred to as
chorioptic, psoroptic and sarcoptic mange, mange or scabies.
(9) USDA, APHIS, VS--United States Department of Agriculture,
Animal Plant Health Inspection Service, Veterinary Services.