|(a) Developmental screening is done to determine the
need for further evaluation. A contractor must:
(1) use tools that are approved by HHSC ECI; and
(2) train providers administering the tool according
to the parameters required by the selected tool.
(b) A parent has the right to request a comprehensive
evaluation after a developmental screening or a comprehensive evaluation
instead of a developmental screening at any time.
(c) If the results of a child's developmental screening
do not indicate a concern, a contractor must:
(1) provide written documentation to the parent that
further evaluation is not recommended;
(2) offer the parent a comprehensive evaluation; and
(3) conduct a comprehensive evaluation if requested
by the parent.
(d) A contractor must coordinate with the Texas Department
of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) to accept a referral for
a child under 36 months of age who is involved in a substantiated
case of child abuse or neglect, affected by illegal substance abuse
or withdrawal symptoms resulting from prenatal drug exposure, or suspected
of having a disability or developmental delay.
(1) A child in DFPS conservatorship. A contractor must
offer a comprehensive evaluation to determine eligibility for early
childhood intervention services when the contractor receives a completed
developmental screening from a health care provider indicating the
child has a developmental delay.
(2) A child not in DFPS conservatorship who is involved
in a substantiated case of abuse or neglect. A contractor must offer
either a developmental screening or proceed directly to a comprehensive
(3) A child affected by illegal substance abuse or
withdrawal symptoms from prenatal drug exposure. A contractor must
offer either a developmental screening or proceed directly to comprehensive
(4) A child suspected of having a disability or developmental
delay. A contractor follows their local procedures for accepting a
referral, conducting a developmental screening, and completing an
evaluation unless the child meets one of the criteria in paragraphs
(1) - (3) of this subsection.
|Source Note: The provisions of this §108.709 adopted to be effective September 1, 2011, 36 TexReg 5387; amended to be effective July 1, 2012, 37 TexReg 4621; amended to be effective September 1, 2013, 38 TexReg 5524; amended to be effective June 30, 2019, 44 TexReg 3280