The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Class of vehicle--All or any of the types of vehicles,
machines, tractors, trailers, or semitrailers, or any combination
thereof, propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used on a highway.
A class of vehicle includes, but is not limited to:
(A) a semitrailer;
(B) special mobile equipment;
(C) a trailer; or
(D) a truck.
(2) Commission--The Texas Transportation Commission.
(3) Controlled access facility--As defined in Transportation
Code, §203.001, a designated state highway to or from which access
is denied or controlled, in whole or in part, from or to adjoining
real property or an intersecting public or private way, without regard
to whether the designated state highway is located in or outside a
local jurisdiction as defined in this subchapter.
(4) Department--The Texas Department of Transportation.
(5) District--One of 25 geographical areas, managed
by a district engineer, in which the department conducts its primary
(6) Executive Director--The executive director of the
Texas Department of Transportation or his or her designee.
(7) Highway--A public roadway that:
(A) is in the designated state highway system;
(B) is designated a controlled access facility; and
(C) has a minimum of three travel lanes, excluding
access or frontage roads, in each direction of traffic that may be
part of a single roadway or may be separate roadways that are constructed
as an upper and lower deck.
(8) Local jurisdiction--A home-rule, general law, or
special law municipality, incorporated under the laws of the state
of Texas or any of the state's 254 counties.
(9) Order--A resolution or order of a county commissioners
court or municipal ordinance.
(10) Restricted lanes--two or more lanes restricted
by class of vehicle.
(11) State highway system--The system of highways in
the state included in a comprehensive plan prepared by the executive
director with the approval of the commission, in accordance with Transportation
(12) Written transcript--A verbatim record of a meeting
required under this subchapter as prepared and certified by a court
reporter or by an employee of a local jurisdiction and certified by
an appropriate official of a local jurisdiction.
(13) Commercial motor vehicle--Has the meaning assigned
by Transportation Code, §548.001.
(14) Construction or maintenance work zone--Has the
meaning assigned by Transportation Code, §472.022.
|Source Note: The provisions of this §25.602 adopted to be effective February 19, 1998, 23 TexReg 1326; amended to be effective January 8, 2004, 29 TexReg 230; amended to be effective December 9, 2015, 40 TexReg 8798