The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Commission--The Texas Transportation Commission.
(2) Department--The Texas Department of Transportation.
(3) Eligible entity--Any entity that is eligible for
funding under Title 23, U.S.C. or Chapter 53 of Title 49, U.S.C.,
is in good standing with the department, and has no deficiencies or
findings of noncompliance.
(4) Eligible project--A highway, rail, transit, bicycle
or pedestrian project, as authorized by Title 23, U.S.C., other than
an emergency relief program authorized by 23 U.S.C. §125, or
Chapter 53 of Title 49, U.S.C.
(5) Locally earned credits--Transportation development
credits earned from:
(A) a project of a regional tollway authority;
(B) a project of a county acting under Transportation
Code, Chapter 284;
(C) a project of a regional mobility authority;
(D) an international bridge not owned by the state;
(E) a department project located within the geographic
area of a regional tollway authority, a county acting under Transportation
Code Chapter 284, or a regional mobility authority that has developed
one or more toll projects.
(6) Metropolitan planning organization--An organization
designated in certain urbanized areas to carry out the transportation
planning process as required by 23 U.S.C §134.
(7) MPO--A metropolitan planning organization.
(8) Transportation development credits--A financing
tool approved by the Federal Highway Administration that allows states
to use federal obligation authority without the requirement of non-federal
matching dollars. Credits are earned when the state, a toll authority,
or a private entity funds a capital transportation investment with
toll revenues earned on existing toll facilities, excluding revenues
needed for debt service, returns to investors or the operation and
maintenance of toll facilities.