|(a) A VSC may generate resources to enhance the lives
of the people served at a facility.
(b) The community relations director and volunteer
and community relations unit may work with a VSC to enhance fund-raising
(c) The state supported living center director and
community relations director are nonvoting members of the VSC board
associated with the state supported living center.
(d) The state hospital superintendent and community
relations director are nonvoting members of the VSC board associated
with the state hospital.
(e) No employee may sign a VSC check or use a VSC debit
or credit card.
(f) The volunteer and community relations unit may
maintain a VSC petty cash fund of up to $300.00 to be used for the
benefit of persons served by a facility.
(1) The community relations director may make expenditures
of up to $300.00 from the petty cash fund on behalf of the VSC for
the benefit of persons served.
(2) The community relations director must appoint a
primary and alternate custodian for the VSC petty cash fund.
(3) The primary custodian for the petty cash fund is
responsible for maintaining receipts and accurate documentation of
all funds disbursed and for furnishing this documentation to the VSC
(4) An officer of the VSC, or an employee outside of
the volunteer and community relations unit, must reconcile the petty
cash fund at least once every two months.
(g) The volunteer and community relations unit may
process and issue receipts for donations to the VSC.
(h) A facility may provide the following items of support
for the VSC:
(1) office space;
(2) fund-raising assistance;
(3) clerical and administrative services;
(4) assistance in the coordination of activities; and
(5) other items or services requested by the VSC upon
approval by the associate commissioner.
(i) Funds generated by the VSC may be used only for:
(1) the needs of a person served;
(2) the enhancement of existing facility operations;
(3) recognition and education projects;
(4) new initiatives to improve the quality of life
for persons served;
(5) employee recognition events; and
(6) other expenses specifically authorized by the VSC
board of directors.
(j) The VSC must not use funds or reference the facility's
name or branding for:
(1) recognition events, receptions, or gifts for a
(2) political contributions, political advertisements,
or lobbying efforts;
(3) alcoholic beverages, unless used at an off-campus
(4) loans, including travel advances;
(5) operating programs, or contracting for programs
on behalf of a facility;
(6) cash awards or salary supplementation for employees;
(7) other purposes determined by HHSC to be unethical,
unlawful, or inappropriate.
(k) All funds and goods donated to the VSC remain the
property of the VSC until a facility accepts them.
(l) The Health and Specialty Care System has the right
to review and approve all VSC donations of real property and any permanent
improvements to existing real property that may be donated to a facility
by a VSC.