The following terms and phrases, when used in this chapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Department--Department of State Health Services.
(2) Essential public health services--As defined by
Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 121.
(3) Health authority--A physician who administers state
and local laws relating to public health, appointed under the Local
Public Health Reorganization Act, Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter
121, by the governing body of a city, county, or public health district.
(4) Local public health entity--A local health unit,
local health department, or public health district.
(5) Public health data--Any data relating to:
(A) the health status of people, living or dead;
(B) health, including data on the extent and nature
of the disease, illness, disability, injury, and other aspects of
(C) environmental, behavioral, occupational, social,
and other health hazards; and
(D) determinants of health.
(6) Region--A geographic area in the State of Texas
designated by the department.
(7) Regional Director--A physician who is employed
by the department and serves as the chief administrative officer of