The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Act--Title 3, Subtitle C, Texas Occupations Code
Annotated Chapter 206.
(2) Address of record--The mailing address of each
licensee or applicant as provided to the agency pursuant to the Act.
(3) Advisory committee--An informal advisory committee
to the board whose purpose is to advise the board regarding rules
relating to the licensure, enforcement, and discipline of surgical
(4) APA--Administrative Procedure Act, Texas Government
Code, Chapter 2001 as amended.
(5) Applicant--A person seeking a surgical assistant
license from the board.
(6) Board--The Texas Medical Board.
(7) Delegating physician--A physician licensed by the
board who delegates, to a licensed surgical assistant, surgical assisting
and oversees and accepts responsibility for that surgical assisting.
(8) Direct supervision--Supervision by a delegating
physician who is physically present and personally directs delegated
acts, and remains immediately available in the operating room to respond
to any emergency until the patient is released from the operating
room or care and has been transferred to another physician.
(9) Submit--The term used to indicate that a completed
item has been actually received and date-stamped by the board along
with all required documentation and fees, if any.
(10) Surgical assistant--A person licensed as a surgical
assistant by the Texas Medical Board.
(11) Surgical or first assisting--Providing aid under
direct supervision in exposure, hemostasis, and other intraoperative
technical functions that assist a physician in performing a safe operation
with optimal results for the patient, including the delegated authority
to provide local infiltration or the topical application of a local
anesthetic at the operation site.
(12) Military service member--A person who is on active
(13) Military spouse--A person who is married to a
military service member.
(14) Military veteran--A person who served on active
duty and who was discharged or released from active duty.
(15) Active duty--A person who is currently serving
as full-time military service member in the armed forces of the United
States or active duty military service as a member of the Texas military
forces, as defined by Section 437.001, Government Code, or similar
military service of another state.
(16) Armed forces of the United States--Army, Navy,
Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps of the United States or a
reserve unit of one of those branches of the armed forces.
|Source Note: The provisions of this §184.2 adopted to be effective April 28, 2002, 27 TexReg 3355; amended to be effective August 10, 2008, 33 TexReg 6135; amended to be effective January 20, 2014, 39 TexReg 282; amended to be effective January 24, 2016, 41 TexReg 623