|(a) No stimulant, tranquilizer, or psychotropic drug
shall be administered to residents without an order from a physician,
physician assistant, dentist, or nurse practitioner.
(b) The governing board of the facility shall adopt
a policy concerning the administration of medication to residents.
The policy shall include:
(1) a listing of which facility personnel are authorized
to administer medication to residents;
(2) a requirement that, for any medication brought
into the facility by the resident's parent, guardian, or custodian:
(A) the facility administrator shall have a written
request from the parent, guardian, or custodian to administer the
(B) the medication shall be in the original, properly
(3) a requirement that all medication prescribed to
the resident during the resident's stay is administered; and
(4) a requirement to document each administration of
(c) Only staff who have had appropriate training in
the administration of medication shall administer non-prescription
medication (i.e., over-the-counter medication). The medication shall
be administered according to the product instructions unless:
(1) the health services coordinator instructs otherwise;
(2) the health services coordinator is a health care
(3) the deviation from the product's instructions and
the reason for it are documented.