|(a) Recreational equipment and supplies shall be provided
to the residents. All recreational equipment shall be maintained in
working order to ensure the safety of all staff and residents in the
(b) The recreational schedule shall offer the following
programming each day:
(1) at least one hour of large muscle exercise; and
(2) at least one hour of open recreational activity.
(c) Large muscle exercise shall take place outside
of individual resident sleeping quarters or sleeping rooms.
(d) If the facility provides an opportunity for residents
to participate in scheduled physical recreation, the requirements
of this standard are satisfied regardless of whether the resident
chooses to participate.
(e) A resident's recreational schedule may be altered
under the following conditions:
(1) participation by the resident is contraindicated
for medical reasons;
(2) the resident is in safety-based seclusion, disciplinary
seclusion, room restriction, resident-initiated separation, protective
isolation, medical isolation, or assessment isolation;
(3) the resident has a scheduled appointment;
(4) extenuating circumstances exist that impede the
recreational schedule; or
(5) the resident presents an imminent danger to self
(f) A youth's recreational schedule may not be altered
due to imminent danger to self or others without written approval
from the facility administrator. The written approval shall be maintained.
|Source Note: The provisions of this §343.498 adopted to be effective January 1, 2010, 34 TexReg 7095; amended to be effective January 1, 2015, 39 TexReg 9243; amended to be effective June 1, 2016, 40 TexReg 7430 and 41 TexReg 850