The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Birthing facility--An inpatient or ambulatory health
care facility that offers obstetrical or newborn care services. The
(A) a hospital licensed under Texas Health and Safety
Code, Chapter 241, that offers obstetrical services;
(B) a birthing center licensed under Texas Health and
Safety Code, Chapter 244;
(C) a children's hospital; or
(D) a facility that provides obstetrical services and
is maintained and operated by this state or an agency of this state.
(2) Critical Congenital Heart Disease (CCHD)--An abnormality
in the structure or function of the heart that exists at birth, that
causes severe, life-threatening symptoms, and requires medical intervention
within the first few hours, days, or months of life.
(3) Department--The Department of State Health Services
or its successor.
(4) Echocardiogram--An ultrasound test that evaluates
the structure and function of the heart.
(5) Health care practitioner--One of the following
individuals who is currently licensed and in good standing as indicated:
(A) an advanced practice registered nurse licensed
by the Texas Board of Nursing pursuant to Texas Occupations Code,
(B) a physician assistant licensed by the Texas Physician
Assistant Board pursuant to Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 204; or
(C) a midwife licensed by the Texas Midwifery Board
pursuant to Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 203.
(6) Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)--An intensive
care unit specializing in the care of ill or premature newborn infants.
(7) Newborn--A child through 30 days of age.
(8) Physician--A person licensed to practice medicine
by the Texas Medical Board pursuant to Texas Occupations Code, Chapter
(9) Pulse Oximeter--A U.S. Food and Drug Administration
approved instrument used to measure the percentage of hemoglobin in
the blood that is saturated with oxygen in neonates.
(10) Screening algorithm--A standardized process and
methodology used to conduct newborn screening for CCHD.