(1) Only TJJD-approved mechanical restraint devices
shall be used by a facility.
(2) Mechanical restraint devices shall be used only
in a manner consistent with their intended use.
(3) All mechanical restraint devices shall be inspected
at least once each year, no later than the last day of the calendar
month of the previous year's inspection. The dates of the inspections
shall be documented.
(4) All faulty or malfunctioning devices shall be restricted
from use until they are repaired or replaced. Any maintenance performed
shall adhere to the manufacturer's guidelines.
(1) Except as noted in paragraph (2) of this subsection,
approved mechanical restraint devices shall not be altered from the
(2) If a required repair will modify or alter a restraint
bed, restraint chair, and/or accompanying soft restraints, the facility
shall obtain and maintain written approval from the manufacturer prior
to the repair. The restraint equipment shall meet the requirements
of this subchapter after the alteration or modification occurs.
(3) A resident shall not be placed in a prone position
while restrained in any mechanical restraint for a period of time
longer than necessary to apply the restraint device.
(4) A mechanical restraint shall not secure a resident
in a prone, supine, or lateral position with the resident's arms and
hands behind the resident's back and secured to the resident's legs.
(5) Approved mechanical restraint devices shall not
be secured so tightly as to interfere with circulation or so loosely
as to cause chafing of the skin.
(6) Approved mechanical restraint devices shall not
be secured to a stationary object except when complete immobilization
is required by use of a four-point restraint or a restraint chair.
(7) A resident in an approved mechanical restraint
device shall not participate in any physical activity.
(8) Plastic cuffs shall be used only in emergency situations.
|Source Note: The provisions of this §343.810 adopted to be effective January 1, 2010, 34 TexReg 7095; amended to be effective September 1, 2013, 38 TexReg 4387; amended to be effective January 1, 2015, 39 TexReg 9243