<<Prev Rule

Texas Administrative Code

Next Rule>>
RULE §382.11Financial Eligibility Requirements

(a) Calculating countable income. Unless an applicant is adjunctively eligible as described in subsection (b) of this section, HHSC determines an applicant's financial eligibility by calculating the applicant's countable income. To determine countable income, HHSC adds the incomes listed in paragraph (1) of this subsection, less any deductions listed in paragraph (2) of this subsection, and exempting any amounts listed in paragraph (3) of this subsection.

  (1) To determine income eligibility, HHSC counts the income of the following individuals if living together:

    (A) the female age 18 through 44, inclusive, applying for HTW;

      (i) the female's spouse; and

      (ii) the female's children age 18 and younger; or

    (B) the female age 15 through 17, inclusive, applying for HTW;

      (i) the female's parent(s);

      (ii) the female's siblings age 18 and younger; and

      (iii) the female's children;

  (2) In determining countable income, HHSC deducts the following items:

    (A) work-related expense deductions of up to $120 of earned income;

    (B) a dependent care deduction of $200 per month for each child under two years of age, and $175 per month for each dependent two years of age or older, including an earned income deduction for the actual costs of unreimbursed payments if the person incurs an expense for the care of a child or incapacitated adult or transportation of a child to and from day care or school;

    (C) payments to dependents living outside the home;

    (D) alimony;

    (E) child support payments; and

    (F) up to $75 per month in received regular child support payments, except HHSC counts all child support payments an applicant received if HHSC determines the applicant has violated an agreement to assign child support to the State.

  (3) HHSC exempts from the determination of countable income the following types of income:

    (A) any income that federal law excludes;

    (B) the earnings of a child:

      (i) who is 18 years of age and is a full-time student, including a home-schooled student, or a part-time student employed less than 30 hours a week; or

      (ii) who is under 18 years of age and is:

        (I) a full-time student, including a home-schooled student; or

        (II) a part-time student employment less than 30 hours a week;

    (C) up to $300 per federal fiscal quarter in cash gifts and contributions that are from private, nonprofit organizations and are based on need;

    (D) proceeds from claims on insurance policies to compensate for a loss or that are used to pay medical expenses;

    (E) payments from federal volunteer programs for volunteer service, such as payments:

      (i) for volunteer service in a senior citizen volunteer program, under the Domestic Volunteer Service Act (42 U.S.C. §§5000 et seq.);

      (ii) for volunteer service to Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA), (42 U.S.C. §§4951 - 4960); and

      (iii) for volunteer service under the National and Community Service Act (42 U.S.C. §§12511 - 12657);

    (F) payments under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (29 U.S.C. §§3101, et seq.);

    (G) the value of any benefits received under a government nutrition assistance program that is based on need, including benefits under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly the Food Stamp Program) (7 U.S.C. §§2011-2036), the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 (42 U.S.C. §§1771-1793), the National School Lunch Act (42 U.S.C. §§1751-1769), and the Older Americans Act of 1965 (42 U.S.C. §§3056, et seq.);

    (H) foster care payments;

    (I) payments made under a government housing assistance program based on need;

    (J) energy assistance payments;

    (K) job training payments that:

      (i) are earmarked as reimbursement for training-related expenses; and

      (ii) do not duplicate payment for an item that is covered by budgetary needs;

    (L) a lump sum provided and used to pay burial, legal, or medical bills, or to replace damaged or lost possessions, except HHSC does not exclude amounts from lump sums used for another purpose;

    (M) reimbursements for monies spent on items not covered by budgetary needs;

    (N) amounts deducted from royalties for production expenses and severance taxes;

    (O) all income of Supplemental Security Income recipients;

    (P) third-party funds received and used for a third-party beneficiary who is not a household member;

    (Q) vendor payments made from funds not legally obligated to the household;

    (R) veterans benefits for special needs that are not items covered by budgetary needs;

    (S) workers' compensation payments legally obligated to the recipient that are earmarked and used for medical expenses;

    (T) the amount of any nonfarm self-employment income offsetting a tax deduction taken that year for a farm loss, for households with farms generating income of at least $1,000 annually;

    (U) up to $2,000 of gifts annually from tax-exempt organizations provided to children with life-threatening conditions;

    (V) independent living payments to youths who are leaving foster care, as provided by the Social Security Act, Title IV-E (42 U.S.C. §§670 et seq.);

    (W) funds from payments of up to $2,000 to Native Americans made under the federal Old Age Assistance Claims Settlement Act (25 U.S.C. §§2301-2307) or the federal Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. §§1601-1629);

    (X) funds from payments made to volunteers under Title I of the Domestic Volunteer Services Act of 1973 (42 U.S.C. §§4950, et seq.);

    (Y) funds from adoption subsidy payments made under Title IV-A (42 U.S.C. §§601, et seq.) and Title IV-E (42 U.S.C. §§670, et seq.) of the Social Security Act;

    (Z) funds from insurance policy dividends;

    (AA) funds from veterans payments earmarked as a housebound allowance or as an aid and attendance allowance;

    (BB) earned income tax credit payments;

    (CC) federal, state, or local government payments provided to rebuild a home or replace personal possessions damaged in a disaster, including payments under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. §§5121 et seq.), if the recipient is subject to legal sanction if the payment is not used as intended;

    (DD) funds from educational assistance payments (but only during the quarter, semester, or applicable period that the payment is intended to cover);

    (EE) loans, if the circumstances satisfy HHSC that there exists an understanding that the money will be repaid, and the applicant or client reasonably explains to HHSC how the money will be repaid; and

    (FF) crime victim's compensation payments.

(b) Adjunctive eligibility. An applicant or client is considered adjunctively eligible at an initial or renewal application, and therefore automatically financially eligible, if:

  (1) a member in her budget group receives benefits under the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) supplemental nutrition program;

  (2) she is a member of a certified Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) household;

  (3) she is in a Children's Medicaid budget group for someone receiving Medicaid; or

  (4) she is receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash or is in a TANF budget group for someone receiving TANF cash.

Source Note: The provisions of this §382.11 adopted to be effective July 1, 2016, 41 TexReg 4623

Link to Texas Secretary of State Home Page | link to Texas Register home page | link to Texas Administrative Code home page | link to Open Meetings home page