The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) ACLS--Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support. A resuscitation
course that was developed and is administered by the American Heart
(2) Antepartum--The period beginning on the date of
conception and ending on delivery.
(3) Attestation--A written statement, signed by the
chief executive officer of the facility, verifying the results of
a self-survey represent a true and accurate assessment of the facility's
capabilities required in this subchapter.
(4) Available--Relating to staff who can be contacted
for consultation at all times without delay.
(5) CAP--Corrective Action(s) Plan. A plan for the
facility developed by the Office of EMS/Trauma Systems that describes
the actions required of the facility to correct identified deficiencies
to ensure compliance with the applicable designation requirements.
(6) Commission--The Health and Human Services Commission.
(7) Department--The Department of State Health Services.
(8) Designation--A formal recognition by the executive
commissioner of a facility’s maternal care capabilities and
commitment, for a period of three years.
(9) Executive commissioner--The executive commissioner
of the Health and Human Services Commission.
(10) Immediately--Without delay.
(11) Infant--A child from birth to one year of age.
(12) Intrapartum--During labor and delivery or childbirth.
(13) Lactation consultant--A health care professional
who specializes in the clinical management of breastfeeding.
(14) Maternal--Pertaining to the mother.
(15) MFM--Maternal Fetal Medicine.
(16) MMD--Maternal Medical Director.
(17) MPM--Maternal Program Manager.
(18) Neonate--An infant from birth through 28 completed
(19) Obstetrics--Related to pregnancy, childbirth,
and the postpartum period.
(20) Office--Office of Emergency Medical Services (EMS)/Trauma
(21) On-site--At the facility and able to rapidly arrive
at the patient bedside for urgent requests.
(22) PCR--Perinatal Care Region.
(23) Perinatal--Of, relating to, or being the period
around childbirth, especially the five months before and one month
(24) POC--Plan of Correction. A report submitted to
the office by the facility detailing how the facility will correct
any deficiencies cited in the survey report or documented in the self-attestation.
(25) Postpartum--The six-week period following pregnancy
(26) QAPI Program--Quality Assessment and Performance
(27) RAC--Regional Advisory Council as described in
§157.123 of this title (relating to Regional Emergency Medical
(28) Supervision--Authoritative procedural guidance
by a qualified person for the accomplishment of a function or activity
with initial direction and periodic inspection of the actual act of
accomplishing the function or activity.
(29) TSA--Trauma Service Area as described in §157.122
of this title (relating to Trauma Service Areas).
(30) Urgent--Requiring immediate action or attention.