The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, have
the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(1) 501(c)(3) organization--An organization exempt
from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
(2) Community relations director--The employee responsible
for coordinating a facility's community engagement functions, volunteer
programs, fund-raising, and donations.
(3) Donation--A contribution of anything of value,
such as funds or in-kind goods and services, freely given to a facility,
a person served, or a VSC. The term does not include funding under
a federal, state, private, or non-profit organization grant for which
a facility has submitted a formal written application and is subject
to an agreement between the recipient and the donor relating to the
use of the grant.
(4) Employee--An individual who is legally employed
or contracted to perform work for HHSC.
(5) Facility--A state supported living center or state
(6) HHSC--The Texas Health and Human Services Commission.
(7) Person served--A person receiving services from
(8) Private donor--A person that makes a donation to
a facility directly or through a VSC.
(9) Volunteer and community relations unit--HHSC employees
responsible for promoting individual and community awareness, volunteerism,
community collaborations, and partnerships.
(10) VSC--Volunteer Services Council--A 501(c)(3) organization
formed to generate resources for the benefit of a facility and for
a person served and has an established MOU with the designated facility.