The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Board--The Texas Higher Education Coordinating
(2) Continuation Award--An exemption from tuition awarded
to a student in keeping with this subchapter who has received the
exemption in a previous semester.
(3) Dependent Child--A person who is a stepchild, biological
or adopted child of a person and is claimed as a dependent for federal
income tax purposes in the previous tax year or will be claimed as
a dependent for federal income tax purposes for the current year.
(4) Excess Hours--In accordance with Texas Education
Code, §54.014, for undergraduates - hours in excess of 30 more
than those required for completion of the baccalaureate degree program
in which the student is enrolled.
(5) Entitled to pay resident tuition--A person is entitled
to pay the resident tuition rate if he or she is a nonresident but
is entitled, through a waiver authorized through the Texas Education
Code, Chapter 54, Subchapter D to pay the resident tuition rate. Waivers
for members of the Armed Forces are located in Texas Education Code, §54.241
(6) Texas Resident--A person who meets the requirements
outlined in Texas Education Code, Chapter 54, Subchapter B, §54.052,
to pay the resident tuition rate and therefore be classified as a
resident of Texas for higher education purposes.