The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Commission--The Texas Transportation Commission.
(2) Construction contract--A contract entered under
Transportation Code, Chapter 223, Subchapter A, for the construction
or reconstruction of a segment of the state highway system.
(3) Contract--A highway construction or maintenance
contract that is subject to this subchapter.
(4) Contractor--One who participates, through a contract
or any tier of subcontract, in a highway, transit, or airport program.
(5) Department--The Texas Department of Transportation.
(6) Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)--A business
certified as a disadvantaged business in accordance with the Texas
Unified Certification Program (TUCP).
(7) Executive director--The executive director of the
(8) Firm--A business entity, including a sole proprietorship,
partnership, or other association, or corporation.
(9) Historically Underutilized Business (HUB)--Any
business certified as a historically underutilized business by the
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.
(10) Maintenance contract--A contract entered under
Transportation Code, Chapter 223, Subchapter A, for the maintenance
of a segment of the state highway system.
(11) Respondent--A person that responds to an invitation
to bid, request for proposal, or comparable solicitation related to
a contract to which this subchapter applies.
(12) Small Business Enterprise (SBE)--A firm that is
certified as a small business enterprise under this subchapter.