|(a) Who may qualify. A person entering Texas for commercial
purposes with a motor vehicle that has two axles and a registered
gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds; or has three or more axles,
or is used in combination and the registered gross weight of the combination
exceeds 26,000 pounds, may purchase a temporary trip permit in lieu
of the required interstate trucker license or registration under a
multistate tax agreement (International Fuel Tax Agreement) if no
more than five entries into the state are made during a calendar year.
(1) A trip permit must be obtained before or at the
time of entry into Texas.
(2) The trip permit is valid for 20 days from date
(3) The trip permit may be used for only one entry
into the state.
(1) A fee of $50 for the trip permit shall be paid
to the Texas comptroller.
(2) The fee may be paid in the form of a cashier's
check or a money order delivered by mail or wire service to the Texas
comptroller's office, Austin.
(3) The receipt from the cashier's check or money order
shall be marked "trip permit" and, identify the motor vehicle by license
plate number or the manufacture's vehicle identification number.
(4) The receipt must be carried in the vehicle for
which the tax payment is made.
(d) Limitations. Persons who make more than five entries
in a calendar year must obtain an interstate trucker license or register
under a multistate tax agreement (International Fuel Tax Agreement).