<<Prev Rule

Texas Administrative Code

Next Rule>>
RULE §3.437Trip Permit in Lieu of Interstate Trucker License

(a) Who may qualify. A person entering Texas for commercial purposes with a motor vehicle that has two axles and a registered gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds; or has three or more axles, or is used in combination and the registered gross weight of the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds, may purchase a temporary trip permit in lieu of the required interstate trucker license or registration under a multistate tax agreement (International Fuel Tax Agreement) if no more than five entries into the state are made during a calendar year.

(b) Conditions.

  (1) A trip permit must be obtained before or at the time of entry into Texas.

  (2) The trip permit is valid for 20 days from date of purchase.

  (3) The trip permit may be used for only one entry into the state.

(c) Procedures.

  (1) A fee of $50 for the trip permit shall be paid to the Texas comptroller.

  (2) The fee may be paid in the form of a cashier's check or a money order delivered by mail or wire service to the Texas comptroller's office, Austin.

  (3) The receipt from the cashier's check or money order shall be marked "trip permit" and, identify the motor vehicle by license plate number or the manufacture's vehicle identification number.

  (4) The receipt must be carried in the vehicle for which the tax payment is made.

(d) Limitations. Persons who make more than five entries in a calendar year must obtain an interstate trucker license or register under a multistate tax agreement (International Fuel Tax Agreement).

Source Note: The provisions of this §3.437 adopted to be effective September 2, 2004, 29 TexReg 8373; amended to be effective October 1, 2013, 38 TexReg 6601

Link to Texas Secretary of State Home Page | link to Texas Register home page | link to Texas Administrative Code home page | link to Open Meetings home page