The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Accredited--Holding institutional accreditation
by name as a U.S.-based institution from an accreditor recognized
by the U.S. Department of Education.
(2) Board or Coordinating Board--The Texas Higher Education
(3) Commissioner--Commissioner of Higher Education.
(4) C-RAC Guidelines--Refers to the Interregional Guidelines for the Evaluation of
Distance Education Programs (Online Learning) for best practices
in postsecondary distance education developed by leading practitioners
of distance education and adopted by the Council of Regional Accrediting
(5) Distance Education--Instruction offered by any
means where the student and faculty member are in separate physical
locations. It includes, but is not limited to, online, interactive
video or correspondence courses or programs.
(6) Home State--A member state where the institution
holds its legal domicile. To operate under SARA an institution must
have a single home state.
(7) Host State--A member state in which an institution
operates under the terms of this agreement, other than the home state.
(8) Institution--A degree-granting postsecondary entity.
(9) Member State--Any state, district or territory
that has joined SARA.
(10) NC SARA--National Council for State Authorization
(11) SARA--State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement
is an agreement among its member states, districts and U.S. territories
that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering
of postsecondary distance education courses and programs.
(12) SREB--Southern Regional Education Board