|(a) The continuing education required under Texas Education
Code, §11.159(b-1), applies to each member of an independent
school district board of trustees.
(b) Each member of an independent school district board
of trustees shall complete the training on school safety adopted by
the State Board of Education (SBOE).
(1) The purpose of the training is to provide research-based
information to trustees on ensuring a safe learning environment conducive
to improving student outcomes.
(2) A candidate for school board may complete the training
up to one year before he or she is elected or appointed. A newly elected
or appointed trustee who did not complete the training under this
section in the year preceding his or her election or appointment must
complete the training within 120 calendar days after election or appointment.
(3) The training requirement shall be fulfilled by
completing the online course adopted by the SBOE and made available
by the commissioner of education.
(4) The training shall be completed every two years.
(5) Each school district shall maintain verification
of completion for each trustee.