Words and terms defined in the Code have the same meaning when
used in this chapter. The following words and terms have the following
meanings when used in this chapter, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) ADE-1317--The driver education certificate of completion
confirming student completion of a department-approved driver education
course exclusively for adults.
(2) Advertising--Any affirmative act, whether written
or oral, designed to call public attention to a driver training provider
or course in order to evoke a desire to patronize that driver training
provider or course. This includes meta tags and search engines.
(3) Branch location--A licensed in-person driver education
provider that has the same ownership and name as a licensed primary
in-person driver education provider but has a different physical address
from the primary provider.
(4) Code--Refers to Texas Education Code, Chapter 1001.
(5) Contract site--An accredited public or private
secondary, or postsecondary school approved as a location for a driver
education course of a licensed driver education provider.
(6) DE-964--The driver education certificate of completion
confirming completion of an approved minor and adult driver education
(7) Education Service Center (ESC)--A public school
district service organization of the Texas Education Agency governed
by Texas Education Code, Chapter Eight.
(8) Endorsement - The method by which a driver education
course is delivered to the student, whether in-person, online or parent-taught.
(9) Instructional Hour (also known as "Clock Hour"):
(A) Driver Education Provider Instructional Hour--55
minutes of instruction time in a 60-minute period for a driver education
course. This includes classroom and in-car instruction time.
(B) Driving Safety Provider Instructional Hour--50
minutes of instruction in a 60-minute period for a driving safety
(10) Personal validation question--A question designed
to establish the identity of the student by requiring an answer related
to personal information such as a driver's license number, address,
date of birth, or other similar information that is unique to the
(11) Primary driver education provider--The main business
location for a licensed in-person driver education provider.
(12) Public or private school--A public or private
secondary school accredited by the Texas Education Agency.
(13) Relevant driver training entity--Refers to a licensed
driver education provider, exempt driver education school, public
or private school, education service center, college or university.
(14) Uniform certificate of course completion--A document
with a serial number purchased from the department that is printed,
administered and supplied by driving safety providers for issuance
to students confirming completion of an approved driving safety course,
and that meets the requirements of Texas Transportation Code, Chapter
543, and Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Article 45.051 or 45.0511.
This term encompasses all parts of an original or duplicate uniform
certificate of course completion.
(15) Validation question--A question designed to establish
the student's participation in a course or program and comprehension
of the materials by requiring the student to answer a question regarding
a fact or concept taught in the course or program.