Animal feeding operations which confine animals in numbers specified
in paragraph (1) of this section and any associated on-site feed handling
and/or feed milling operations which satisfy the following conditions of this
section are permitted by rule.
(1) Operations designed to feed no more than:
(A) 1,000 cattle;
(B) 1,000 horses and mules;
(C) 2,500 swine weighing more than 55 pounds;
(D) 10,000 sheep and goats; or
(E) 1,000 animal equivalents.
(2) Where a combination of cattle, swine weighing
over 55 pounds, horses and mules, or sheep and goats are present, animal equivalents
shall be calculated by adding the following numbers.
(3) In determining the number of animals or animal equivalents,
mothers with nursing young shall be counted as a single animal while the young
are nursing. Once removed from the mother, the young animals shall be counted
when determining the number of animals or animal equivalents. Swine weighing
55 pounds or less shall be allowed, but not counted in determining the number
of animals or animal equivalents. Animals on pasture are not considered as
part of the animal feeding operation.
(4) Operations designed to feed no more than 55,000 turkeys
or other birds, excluding ducks, concentrated on open lots.
(5) Operations designed to feed no more than 5,000 ducks.
(6) All caged poultry operations designed to feed no more
than 30,000 birds.
(7) All housed poultry operations when wood shavings or
similar material is used as litter.
(8) All caged poultry operations designed to feed more
than 30,000 birds when a dry manure storage and handling system is used and
when located at least 1/4 mile from any recreational area or residence or
other structure not occupied or used solely by the owner of the egg laying
or caged pullet operation. Before construction of the caged laying and caged
pullet operations begins, written site approval shall be received from the
executive director and the facility shall be registered with the commission's
Office of Permitting, Remediation, and Registration using Form PI-7.
(9) For the associated on-site feed handling and/or feed
milling operations to be covered under this section, no products from the
feed handling and or feed milling shall be shipped off-site.